Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Coca Cola: Mean Joe Greene

By Robert H. Kelly

This commercial is without a doubt, the best commercial ever made. It has always been a favorite of mine.

My connection to this commercial is Joe Greene grew up and played his high school ball near where I grew up. I lived in Killeen, Texas in the early 1960s and Greene lived in Temple, playing for Dunbar High School.

Dunbar High School was the black high school in Temple, while the whites went to Temple High School.

He later played college ball for North Texas State University and went to the Pittsburgh Steelers for his professional career.

The Steelers were and always will be my team. My maternal grandparents lived on the same street in Pittsburgh as the Rooney family. If fact, my mother went to high school with Art Rooney Jr.

The Steelers were always my team of choice and when Mean Joe did this commercial, I fell in love with it.

So here it is, in my humble opinion, the best commercial of all time.


No comments: